Monday, April 2, 2012

YOJ Week 13 - The Rolling Mill Cuff

This weekend I had a play date with my good friend Carla Meinberg, who showed me and a few other daring souls the ins and outs of working with a rolling mill. A whole new world of textured metals has now opened up to me and I look at everything, and I mean everything as possible fodder for the mill. A few idea's for future use....raffia, sand paper, leather, old t-shirts, packing paper......and I'm sure I'll come up with many more.  This cuff was created with WireKnitZ to texturize the base, copper wire on the the top layer, and then heat patina'd after an LOS bath.  Pretty. Darn. Fun. Day!!!

10 comments:

  1. A play date with Carla would have to be a blast! Very cool results too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! this is fabulous! I can't imagine the time and effort it took to put this together. I love the old, roughened, patinas and the look of this cuff. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, it actually came together pretty quick and I too love the organic look of "rough" copper! :)

      Delete
  3. Love it !!wish I would have known about the play date with Carla I would have made it up for that,a rolling mill is on my list to get!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! Kristina is teach a rolling mill class this month, here's the info if you're interested...hope all is well!

      http://www.localendar.com/event?DAM=PublishedEvent&m=283010&event_id=2862&calendar_id=283010&more_info=N&export_date=Apr%2027,%202012&category=1

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous Eva! LOVE those colors and textures!!!
    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sue! Next up? Chan Luu on copper.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva this is stunning! Love the colours you got with the heat!...awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi, I find of I give it an LOS bath first, I get more vivid colors...

      Delete

Your comment will be published upon moderation.